Pasta with Rustic Tomato Sauce
An easy and dependable homemade marinara sauce that is laden with delicious bits of tender lamb.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 ounces American Lamb boneless leg or shoulder, sliced in thin strips or 12 ounces of ground lamb
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes and juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced and drained ripe olives, optional
- In large skillet with cover, heat oil. Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add lamb and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well, set aside.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and juice, basil, pepper and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add cooked lamb, onions, pasta and olives, if desired. Heat through and serve.
Defrosting Lamb: Thaw frozen lamb in the refrigerator overnight or for faster thawing, use a microwave oven, following the manufacturer's directions. Do not thaw frozen lamb at room temperature.
Calories from Fat 45 (20%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2018 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2018.