Suggested Use: Take 1 level scoop mixed in 8 oz. water or juice, 1-3 times daily, or as recommended by your healthcare professional.
Glutamine Forte -
Glutamine Forté delivers a therapeutic level of L-glutamine, in combination with Theracurmin® in a great-tasting mild lemon-lime flavored drink mix. Providing 5 grams of L-glutamine per serving plus Theracurmin®, Glutamine Forté delivers a novel water-dispersible form of turmeric with dramatically enhanced curcumin bioavailability.
Therapeutic Levels of L-Glutamine
Glutamine Forté delivers a therapeutic level of L-glutamine in combination with Theracurmin™, a novel, water-dispersible form of turmeric with dramatically enhanced curcumin bioavailability.
L-Glutamine is a conditionally essential amino acid and an important fuel for enterocytes. The benefits of oral supplementation have been extensively studied. L-glutamine has been shown to:
- Restore gut barrier function†
- Promote healthy intestinal permeability†
- Support a healthy immune system function†
- Support healthy tissue repair mechanisms†
A Great-Tasting, Hypoallergenic Drink Mix
Because daily recommendations for L-glutamine can reach up to 30 grams daily in certain conditions, Glutamine Forté is formulated with a great-tasting, mild citrus flavor. Its convenient powdered drink mix format allows for flexible dosing and customized patient care. The product can be mixed in cold water or juice, or even in foods, such as yogurt or applesauce, for improved compliance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is glutamine not recommended for people with Crohn’s disease?
Glutamine has been tested in several studies with patients who have Crohn’s disease, and it not only didn’t help, but it appeared to exacerbate the condition. (1-4)
The reason why is not exactly known, but individuals with Crohn's disease have increased T cells, and glutamine's ability to activate T cells might be the problem. Glutamine is also metabolized to citrulline, which is in turn converted to arginine, a substrate for nitric oxide (NO) synthesis. Excessive NO could contribute to tissue injury and inflammation in individuals with Crohn's disease. (5)
1. Akobeng AK, Miller V, Stanton J, Elbadri AM, Thomas AG. Double-blind randomized controlled trial of glutamine-enriched polymeric diet in the treatment of active Crohn's disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2000 Jan;30(1):78-84.
2. Ockenga J, Borchert K, Stüber E, et al. Glutamine-enriched total parenteral nutrition in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Nov;59(11):1302-9.
3. Den Hond E, Hiele M, Peeters M, Ghoos Y, Rutgeerts P. Effect of long-term oral glutamine supplements on small intestinal permeability in patients with Crohn's disease. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1999 Jan-Feb;23(1):7-11.
4. Akobeng AK, Miller V, Thomas AG, Richmond K. Glutamine supplementation and intestinal permeability in Crohn's disease. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2000 May-Jun;24(3):196.
5. Gaby AR. Crohn’s Disease. In: Nutritional Medicine. Concord, Fritz Perlberg Publishing, 2011:403-404.
Why does the caution statement for Glutamine Forte state that a healthcare practitioner should be consulted if you have active liver disease?
There is one study in which patients with liver cirrhosis and awaiting liver transplantation received oral glutamine (10-20 gram single dose) and experienced increased blood ammonia and impaired performance on certain neuropsychiatric tests.(1) This suggests a possible risk of exacerbating portal-systemic encephalopathy, which could be dangerous for cirrhosis patients. Although such a scenario is unlikely except in cases of severe liver disease, the dose used in the referenced study is achievable with Glutamine Forte, so we opted to err on the side of caution to allow the user and their doctor to make a fully informed decision.
1. Oppong KN, Al-Mardini H, Thick M, Record CO. Oral glutamine challenge in cirrhotics pre- and post-liver transplantation: a psychometric and analyzed EEG study. Hepatology. 1997 Oct;26(4):870-6.
What is the source of the L-Glutamine used in Glutamine Forté?
The L-Glutamine that is used in Glutamine Forté is from a natural source; made through bio-fermentation of corn.
This product does not contain
- artificial coloring
- artificial flavoring
- dairy products
- ingredients of animal origin
This product contains natural ingredients; color variations are normal.
Caution: If pregnant, nursing, taking prescription drugs, or if you have active liver disease, consult with your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Glutamine is not recommended for individuals with Crohn's disease.
Container is filled by net weight, not volume; some settling may occur.